Everyone loves burgers, and this month, we're helping you get your burger on in a new way. We've taken quinoa and pinto beans and created a burger that your family will love and is sure to be the hit of your backyard bar-b-que this summer. Quick. Delicious. Nutritious. That's what we've got this month. And it's easy to go all vegan on this burger too — just follow our simple EZE VEGAN instructions. No matter which way you go, this burger is sure to please every hungry mouth at your dinner table.
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 (15oz) can pinto beans, drained (or 1 pound dried beans prepared according to package instructions)
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten*
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or olive oil
- burger buns
- your favorite burger fixings
* EZE VEGAN: To veganize this recipe, substitute egg with 1 Ener-G egg replacer or 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons of water.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent and fragrant. Add the bell pepper and corn and continue to cook until softened. Remove cooked vegetables and set aside to cool.
Smash the beans and cooked quinoa together in a large bowl. Mix in the cooled cooked vegetables and breadcrumbs. Add egg and spices, and mix evenly.
Using your hands, squeeze as much water out of the mixture as possible. Form the mixture into ¼-inch thick patties. Freeze the formed patties for 10 to 15 minutes to help them hold together during cooking.
Preheat grill or a large sauté pan with oil. Grapeseed oil works best with high heat. If using olive oil, heat until oil shimmers but does not smoke. Season patties with salt and pepper to taste, then cook patties until browned on both sides (approximately 3 to 5 minutes on each side).
Plate and serve on buns with your favorite condiments and toppings, with roasted vegetables. Serves 4 – 6.